Jan 28, 2011

Happy Birthday Kayla!!


Making Baking Memories

   Dear World
       I really do love baking.  I devour different baking websites and blogs drooling over all of the wonderful things I have yet to attempt to make.  The Holiday season gave me plenty of excuses to consume try my hand at making different treats.  It's been a bit of a dry spell in the baking realm of my life since then. Thankfully a birthday is the perfect excuse to bust out the pans and turn on the oven! Kayla (one of my three roommates) turned twenty today. I asked her earlier this week what she would like for her birthday treat.  She requested a cheesecake (because they are delicious) but I have already made a few of those this year and I was looking forward to trying out something new.  I asked if there was anything else she might like and she suggested vanilla cupcakes w/vanilla frosting; if that doesn't get the creative juices flowing I don't know what else would! haha I began wondering what I could do that would be new to me and still please the birthday girl.  Cheesecake cupcakes obviously!! Not a revolutionary idea, I know.  It was a new recipe for me though (which      is why I ended up with TONS of leftover graham cracker crumbs.... fruit crisp tomorrow? definite possibility).  I needed to let the cream cheese sit out a bit longer but they still ended up being pretty tasty. Kayla loved them and that's what matters to me!! 







                                           Not done Getting Crafty!!!! 
                        
    Over the weekend.....
I really wanted to make something for Kayla's birthday gift rather than buying her something she may not want.  I love making gifts for people when I can.  My mother has a craft room, that's right and ENTIRE room decorated to crafts.  I am not complaining!  I have a bunch of plain canvases in my room so I decided to try and put one to use.  Kayla loves orange, keith urban (and country music in general) and dolphins.  Step 1: I painted the canvas orange, starting strong! Step 2: I stared at an orange, almost blank slate.  I stared some more.  I stared some more, then I looked at pictures of Keith Urban, then I stared some more.  Finally I ended up with this creation....




I think she likes it! It's always a challenge to make a decoration for someone specific, at least it is for me. The flower element was something that I was really pleased with (I made it by folding individual strips of paper).  At the very list this fits perfectly in her orange room :)  Thanks Kayla for giving me excuses to flex my crafty muscles!! I hope you have an Amazing Birthday.
                                                                             -feeling celebratory
                                                                               Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment