Jan 27, 2011

Best College Group Ever

 Hey There World,
    I am a sophomore at ASU.  I really do love college, but my first semester Freshman year was missing something.  Let me give you a little background.  In high school I was in Student Government, NHS, Theater (the best!!!), and I was pretty much busy all of the time.  I jumped into ASU ready to make new friends and just psyched for some new adventures.  I quickly realized that I just need to belong to some sort of club or extracurricular activity or I go CRAZY.  I was tempted to join a sorority (but they are pricey!!!) but I wasn't really sure that I would fit in or that I was willing to make the time commitment.  Greek life just didn't seem to be the fit that I was looking for (plus it's expensive!!).  I tried out a marketing club for one meeting, then I remembered that I HATE selling things and that I already attend enough lectures during the day..... anywho I obviously decided to keep looking.  My business 101 class required a trip to the business clubs' fair... nothing screamed out to me there either (mayhaps my ambition could use some revamping? I don't know but I wanted something that was more about fun!).  To be honest I didn't look very hard.  I perused the ASU's club website but that was the extent of my research.  Lucky for me a boy I was interested in (lame huh? We all do it, don't judge) was a part of a very small community service group, Alpha Phi Omega (APO), and coincidentally a girl that was in STUGO with me in high school was also a member.  I asked my roommate to go with me to the info meeting and we both decided to give this group a go.  The pledging process was very simple: weekly meetings, 20 hours of community service, 10 hours of fellowship, a test, and participating in planning a service, fellowship or fundraising event as a pledge class (oh and $80 MUCH CHEAPER than actually going greek.  Such a plus!!).  As it happens things did not work out with the boy (surprised aren't ya?).  Instead, I am pleased to say, I met one of my very best friends in the whole world.  She went to my high school and I was friends with her twin sister but we didn't become friends until last year. Weird how things work that way huh?  I am really thankful for APO though.  We have the opportunity to do so many different types of service, meet people we otherwise wouldn't have a chance to meet, along with a bunch of fun things that I probably would not get around to planning on doing myself.  Last semester we went camping, to a conference in Cali, and made out with a free night of laser tag (thank you ASU for the student funds).  Last semester I was Historian and Membership V.P. and this semester I am giving Fellowship V.P. a go.  I really help I can successfully plan some fun events!! This week is our rush week and I am so excited to figure out what group of pledges we end up recruiting.  I just thought I had better give a little background on APO because I'll probably end up talking about it time to time (or all the time, whatever...).  Plus isn't this just a fine looking group of people ;) ?
                                                                   -Not quite fratty  APO
                                                                    Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment